Therapeutic Foster Care
What is Therapeutic Foster Care?
Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC), formerly known as Home Care Training to Home Care Client (HCTC), provides in-home care for children and youth ages five and older with severe mental health diagnoses or emotional and behavioral needs.
Is God Calling You to Become a Therapeutic Foster Parent or Family?
Due to the specific care requirements of children placed in Therapeutic Foster Care, there is an ever-present need for TFC homes, and an even greater need for Christian families in TFC. We are looking for therapeutic foster parents and families that truly have hearts for children and wish to support these children and their families through a difficult season of life.
When you become a therapeutic foster parent or family, you will…
- Provide a safe place for a child with high emotional and behavioral needs in order to help them reach their goals.
- Care for the child for an extended period of time, typically from weeks to months.
- Support the child as they work to achieve reunification and/or permanency.
- Work with the child’s therapist and care team to help them reach their goals and eventually transition them back to a permanent home.
- Provide professional-level care, attend all regular meetings and appointments, and submit daily reports to support and document the child’s growth.
- Receive financial assistance from the government to provide the child with the care they need.
- Receive help and resources from Christian Family Care along the way!
Therapeutic Foster Care Requirements
- One year’s experience as a licensed foster parent.
- Three months’ successful experience in child welfare, foster care, behavioral health, education, or a related profession as approved by the Office of Licensing and Regulation.
- A bachelor’s or graduate degree in healthcare, social work, psychology, or a related behavioral health field.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must be a legal resident of Arizona.
- Must be able to provide safe transportation for any appointments or emergencies.
- Must complete required training (see below).
Required Training for Therapeutic Foster Parents
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Trauma-Informed Care
- Foster Parent College (30 hours)
- Arizona Department of Child Safety (DCS) Therapeutic Foster Curriculum
- Psychopharmacology/medication training
- De-escalation training
- Record-keeping/documentation training
- Minimum of 24 hours of advanced training per year
Home Licensing Requirements
- Must be safe and clean, with adults that are trained and able to assist the child with complex behavioral needs.
- Must have one adult who is at home full- or part-time.
- Must have a separate bedroom for each child that lives there, with a maximum of three children.
- Must meet the Life Safety Standards in Arizona’s Administrative Code, Department of Child Safety–Foster Home Licensing, Title 21, Chapter 6.
- Must pass a home safety inspection conducted by Christian Family Care and the State of Arizona Office of Licensing and Registration.
Take the First Step Toward Becoming a Therapeutic Foster Parent or Family
Fill out the form below to get more information from our knowledgeable staff.
Apply to be a provider of Therapeutic Foster Care HERE.
We look forward to working with you to serve these at-risk children in the name of Jesus Christ.
“Taking on children with high needs used to be so scary but we have so many resources now. You don’t stand alone with these high needs kids and they bring so much to your life…”
Goodwin family, foster family of over 30 years
Get More Information About Therapeutic Foster Care
Please fill out this form, and one of our specialists will contact you soon.